Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Purification Fun

My husband and I recently finished our 21 day Standard Process Purification Program, so I was excited to share our experiences.  I had convinced him last year to try it with me for his first time, and his initial reaction was that it would be too time consuming and difficult with 2 children.  Me, being determined, convinced him that it would all work out fine.  I was so excited when the first week went by and he told me that he was loving the food, that it wasn't that hard, and that he was feeling great.  He had suffered with stomach irritation and sinus problems for years, and was noticing that his stomach was not feeling bloated and painful anymore, and his sinuses were much clearer at night.  I was disappointed, however, that when we ended the purification, that he backslid to his old eating habits. 

This time, however, even before the program ended, he told me that he was looking forward to keeping up the great lunches that I packed for him to take to work, not eating out, and generally taking better care of himself once the program ended. 

I think the general misconception about the 21 day Purification Program is that it will be difficult, especially when the patient has children.  The only thing different that I do for my children is add extra protein.  They eat the same veggies as I, but I might grill or bake some chicken for them while I am on the first half of the program.   Another misconception is that you will be hungry while on the program.  The goal of the purification program is to keep the blood sugar steady, which must be accomplished by keeping a steady stream of low sugar/carbohydrate foods in the body.  Even my active husband did not feel hungry on either of the 2 programs that we have done. 

I found some new recipes for the Purification Program that I am excited to share with you...

Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup


1/2 head Cauliflower
1 crown broccoli
3 chopped carrots
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1 chopped onion
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss vegetables, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and spread onto a cookie sheet or Pyrex pan.  Roast for 20 minutes.  

Place remaining ingredients into a large crock-pot.  Add the vegetables once they are out of the oven.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.  Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or food processor.  

Jen and Alicia's Squash Dessert

1 Winter Squash 
1 small apple
1 small pear
2 Tbsp melted butter
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Peel and dice squash, apples and pear into cubes.  Drizzle butter over cubes and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Bake at 350 degrees until tender (approximately 30-45 minutes).  


Darcy Ward, D.C.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: